Flute Fantasies

Welcome to the life of a overworked music education major!

Monday, November 27, 2006

What are you passionate about?

that's the question Dr. Mattern asked me today in my flute lesson. hmmm, i honestly had to think about this one. I mean i like a lot of things but passion involves more than just a liking for something. For example, i like pumpkin spice lattes from starbucks but i'm certainly not passionate about them, as in my life wouldn't end right now if Starbucks decided for whatever reason that they would no longer produce pumpkin spice lattes. the reason Dr. Mattern had asked me the original question was to see if i could play the slow mov't of Gaubert's Nocturne et Allegro Scherzando with passion (it is a French Impressionist piece after all). Through this flute lesson God was showing me that i'm not nearly as passionate as i should be about living for Him. I've been so wrapped up in my life that i've forgotten that it doesn't belong to me. I've been trying to work hard in my classes to get A's and impress my teachers..but it's been all for selfish reasons. I keep deceiving myself that God is somehow pleased with my self-righteous attempts to appear strong on the outside. so yeah, today was definately God reminding me that I have been bought with a price and need to glorify God with my body. It actually takes a ton weight off my shoulders, although it's not an excuse to slack off. ( :
Well, we're down to the home stretch...only two more weeks of classes and then the much anticipated final exam week! This week i'll be chained to my laptop writing my book report on George Bizet (for those of you uncultured people--the guy who wrote the opera Carmen). Also, this week we start rehearsals for Madame Butterfly (the opera Ball State is putting on in February). This will be my first time playing in pit orchestra so i'm super excited!
Time to get back to writing my lesson plan for microteaching in brass tech tomorrow...
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving break got to eat some yummy turkey!!!

4 Comments:

  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger Einfach Warten said…

    I'm passionate about pumpkin spice lattes...I think I might start up a web page completely devoted to pumpkin spice lattes...I might have to chain myself to the doors of the local Starbucks too if they decided to discontinue them...

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Blogger kiwi said…

    Nisha said that the Starbucks near her apartment in Miami doesn't have pumpkin spice lattes! how tragic! but yeah, the web page sounds like una idea buena!!!

     
  • At 10:34 PM, Blogger Einfach Warten said…

    I have a confession to make...I've never had a pumpkin spice latte...in fact it doesn't even sound good....

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger kiwi said…

    oh my goodness...we'll have to fix that b/c pumpkin spice latte's are my favorite drink at Starbucks! ( :

     

Post a Comment

<< Home